Home PoliticsInternationalTrump Warns Iran of Possible Fresh Strikes Amid Fragile Ceasefire Deadlock

Trump Warns Iran of Possible Fresh Strikes Amid Fragile Ceasefire Deadlock

US President Says Military Action Remains an Option if Tehran Fails to Reach Nuclear Deal

by Kashmir Examiner
0 comments

Agencies | Washington:

US President Donald Trump has issued a fresh warning to Iran, saying Washington could launch another major military strike if ongoing negotiations fail to produce an acceptable agreement on Tehran’s nuclear programme.

The warning came just hours after Trump reportedly held back planned military action against Iran as tensions continue despite a fragile ceasefire between the two countries.

“I hope we don’t have to do the war, but we may have to give them another big hit. I’m not sure yet. You’ll know very soon,” Trump said while addressing reporters.

The US president stated that Iran had been given “a limited period of time” to agree to a deal, asserting that the United States could not allow Tehran to possess nuclear weapons.

“There’s no question in my mind that they’d use it. They’re extremely radicalised,” Trump said.

A fragile ceasefire between Washington and Tehran has remained in effect since April 8 after both sides exchanged proposals through intermediaries aimed at ending the conflict that escalated following US strikes on February 28.

Trump claimed the United States had been on the verge of launching fresh attacks on Iran.

“We were all set to go. It would have been happening right now,” he said.

Earlier, in a post on his social media platform Truth Social, Trump stated that Gulf leaders had requested him to postpone a planned military strike on Iran.

However, he added that the US military had been directed to remain prepared for a “full, large-scale assault” on Iran at short notice if no agreement is reached.

Reacting sharply to Trump’s remarks, Iranian officials warned that Tehran would respond forcefully if the United States resumed military operations.

Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi accused Trump of presenting threats as diplomacy.

“He is calling a threat a chance for peace,” Gharibabadi wrote on X.

Iranian army spokesman Mohammad Akraminia also warned that Iran would “open new fronts” against the United States in the event of renewed attacks.

He further claimed that Iran’s military had utilised the ceasefire period to strengthen its combat capabilities.

Meanwhile, regional tensions escalated further after the United Arab Emirates alleged that a recent drone attack targeting the Barakah nuclear power plant originated from Iraqi territory.

In a statement, the Emirati Defence Ministry said technical investigations confirmed that three drones involved in the May 17 attack had entered from Iraq, where Iran-backed armed groups are accused of operating.

A senior Emirati official earlier suggested that either Iran or one of its regional proxies could be responsible for the incident.

Amid the rising tensions, Qatar said more time was required for ongoing Pakistan-mediated diplomatic efforts aimed at facilitating direct Iran-US negotiations and securing a broader agreement to end the conflict in the region.

Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari stated that diplomatic channels remain active despite the continuing uncertainty surrounding the ceasefire.

You may also like

Leave a Comment