Examiner News Desk | Jammu:
Minister for Forest, Ecology and Environment Javed Ahmed Rana on Tuesday announced an inquiry into what he termed an “alleged illegal eviction drive” carried out in the Sidhra area on the outskirts of Jammu, asserting that strict action would be taken against all those involved, including officials of the Forest Department.
Speaking to media persons after visiting the site and meeting affected families, Rana described the demolition drive as “illegal and unjust.”
“This was absolutely an illegal and unjust action. I have ordered an inquiry and will not spare those involved in this illegal act. Action will be taken against the officials of the Forest Department involved in the eviction drive,” the minister said.
He further stated that he would raise the matter with Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to seek justice for the affected nomadic community.
“We will not stand by as silent spectators to this selective harassment and high-handedness. I am immediately taking this up at the highest level with the Chief Minister to demand an immediate halt and an institutional inquiry,” Rana said.
Earlier in the day, officials from the Forest Department, Revenue Department and Police carried out a joint anti-encroachment operation in the Raika Bandi forest belt on the outskirts of Jammu, demolishing around 25 structures.
Officials said nearly 60 kanals of prime forest land were retrieved during the four-hour-long drive.
The action triggered protests from affected families, most of whom belong to the nomadic Gujjar-Bakarwal community. The residents alleged that the drive was conducted without prior notice and termed the operation unjustified.
“They conducted this drive in the name of containing the menace of drugs. Was the entire colony involved? Why were all houses demolished? This is injustice,” one of the affected residents said.
The families claimed they had been residing in the area for nearly six generations and alleged that their names were included in the 1952 voter lists.
Rana also strongly condemned the demolition drive in a post on social media, expressing shock over what he described as a “clandestine and unilateral” action by the administration.
“I am deeply shocked and outraged by the clandestine, unilateral demolition of homes in Sidhra, Jammu. Decades of heritage of our innocent Gujjar-Bakarwal families have been reduced to rubble without taking the elected government or my ministry into confidence,” he said.
Calling the action a “targeted and cruel eviction,” the minister alleged that the drive was aimed at marginalising nomadic tribal communities who, according to him, had protected the land for decades.
“Our people deserve justice, not displacement,” Rana added while demanding rehabilitation measures for the affected families and accountability for the officials responsible for the demolition drive.