Home PoliticsNationalDelhi Police Registers FIR Over Alleged Pellet Gun Use During Jantar Mantar Protest

Delhi Police Registers FIR Over Alleged Pellet Gun Use During Jantar Mantar Protest

Case filed under BNS Sections 118 and 125 after Rahul Gandhi protests outside Parliament Street Police Station; injured youth alleges pellet wounds and loss of vision in one eye

by Kashmir Examiner
0 comments

Agencies | New Delhi:

Delhi Police has registered an FIR over allegations that pellet guns were used during the July 20 protest at Jantar Mantar. The case has been registered under Sections 118 and 125 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS).

The FIR was registered after Congress leader Rahul Gandhi staged a dharna outside the Parliament Street Police Station, demanding police action over allegations of pellet firing during the protest.

Gandhi arrived at the police station on Friday accompanied by 19-year-old Sahil Lochab, who has alleged that he sustained pellet injuries during the July 20 demonstration. Gandhi had been demanding registration of an FIR and said he would remain at the police station until a case was registered.

Section 118 of the BNS deals with voluntarily causing hurt or grievous hurt using dangerous weapons or other dangerous means, while Section 125 relates to acts endangering the life or personal safety of others.

Lochab has claimed that he suffered around 100 pellet injuries during the protest and lost vision in one eye. He said he had repeatedly sought police action over the alleged firing.

Gandhi described the registration of the FIR as the “first step of justice”, while Lochab thanked the Congress leader for supporting his demand for action.

According to Lochab, he informed Gandhi on Thursday that the FIR had still not been registered. He said Gandhi assured him that the case would be registered the following day. Lochab further claimed that the police took around eight hours to complete the registration process after Gandhi’s intervention.

Gandhi has also raised concerns over the reported damage to Lochab’s eyesight and has repeatedly highlighted his injuries while demanding accountability.

The Congress leader had earlier approached Delhi Police seeking action on Lochab’s complaint. After meeting senior police officials, Gandhi sat in protest outside the DCP office at Parliament Street Police Station.

Gandhi had said that the alleged use of pellet guns against protesters required a formal investigation and accountability.

However, Delhi Police had previously rejected allegations that security personnel used pellet guns against students during the protest.

The latest FIR marks a significant development in the dispute, although the allegations remain subject to investigation and the registration of a case does not by itself establish culpability.

The alleged pellet firing during the July 20 Jantar Mantar protest has also come under scrutiny through a Supreme Court-appointed high-powered committee examining allegations of excessive and disproportionate use of force during the protests.

The committee’s proceedings and the police investigation are expected to examine the circumstances surrounding the alleged injuries, the nature of the force used and the responsibility, if any, of security personnel.

The FIR is likely to provide the basis for a detailed investigation into Lochab’s allegations, including the circumstances in which he sustained his injuries and the alleged use of pellet guns during the protest.

You may also like

Leave a Comment