Agencies | Washington:
The man who allegedly opened fire near the White House security perimeter on Saturday evening was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best of Maryland. According to multiple US media reports, Best had a documented history of mental health issues and had previously come to the attention of the US Secret Service.
The shooting unfolded shortly after 6 pm local time near a White House checkpoint, when the suspect allegedly removed a firearm from a bag and began firing toward officers stationed at the security perimeter, the Secret Service said. Officers returned fire, critically injuring the suspect, who later died at a hospital. A bystander was also injured during the exchange.
US President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the incident but was not harmed, officials confirmed.
Suspect Previously ‘Known to Secret Service’
US media reports stated that Best had allegedly been “known to the Secret Service” following multiple prior encounters with federal security personnel.
According to Fox News, Best was detained by Secret Service officers on June 26, 2025, after allegedly approaching agents and making threats. He was reportedly detained again on July 10, 2025, for entering a restricted area.
The New York Post, citing sources, reported that Best was believed to be mentally disturbed and allegedly claimed he was “Jesus Christ.” The report further alleged that he had violated a court order directing him to stay away from the White House complex.
BNO News also cited reports claiming Best had previously attempted to enter the White House last year.
Authorities have not yet publicly disclosed a motive behind the shooting, and investigations remain ongoing.
How the Shooting Unfolded
According to the Associated Press, the shooting occurred near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, approximately one block from the White House.
Journalists stationed at the White House reported hearing multiple gunshots before being instructed to take shelter inside the press briefing room.
The Secret Service said the suspect approached the checkpoint, removed a weapon from his bag and opened fire at officers, prompting an immediate response from security personnel.
Officials said it remains unclear whether the injured bystander was struck by bullets fired by the suspect or during the officers’ response.
Images from the scene showed a heavy law enforcement presence, yellow crime-scene tape, evidence markers and emergency medical equipment scattered across the pavement outside the White House complex.
Witnesses Describe Panic and Chaos
AFP reported that panic spread rapidly around the White House area as gunfire erupted.
Canadian tourist Reid Adrian told the news agency he heard “probably 20 to 25” sounds resembling fireworks before realising they were gunshots.
ABC News correspondent Selina Wang was reportedly recording a social media video on the White House grounds when the shooting began.
Journalists positioned on the White House North Lawn were instructed to run for cover and shelter inside the briefing room during the exchange of gunfire.
The incident has once again intensified concerns surrounding security threats targeting Trump, who has faced multiple alleged assassination attempts and security scares in recent months.
Among the incidents cited were an alleged assassination attempt during the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner in April and the 2024 rally shooting in Butler, Pennsylvania, in which Trump suffered an ear injury.
Federal agencies, including the Secret Service and the FBI, are continuing to investigate the shooting and the suspect’s background.